12/24/2012

Tribute to Koreans!

Ok, I know it's not representative of true Korean culture, but about 10 years ago I happened to see a Korean drama on TV. At first I didn't watch for long, but would look for a few minutes at the subtitled drama on the WMBC broadcast when channel surfing. (For those who don't watch much TV, us channel surfers are people who like to see what's on almost every channel, at least when there are commercials during the show we're watching). Unlike the American dramas, most Korean dramas I saw would end after so many episodes, which was nice, and they were faster moving (if that can be said about dramas). Slowly but surely over a couple of years I would watch a little more, at least partly because they had no commercials, but also because it was well done drama, if very tame G-rated stuff. I got hooked over time. Those were VCR days, and I started recording the Korean drama every night to my VCR. I found it a very relaxing half hour, a good way to de-stress, and a nice alternative to over-done American TV.

In more recent years I've found there are many Korean movies and dramas on Netflix, and a new one starts on TV every 6 months or so. Movies and dramas do not a culture make, but cultural art reflects to some extent the culture it arises from, and one starts to learn a little more over time. I think I'd have a hard time with some types of Korean food, and have tried eating at Korean restaurants, but the more I learn about the Korean people, the more I hold them up as a model culture to be admired, a blend of east and west really; a modern culture with a positive hard-working attitude toward life, or so it seems to this observer. Of all peoples in this world, I admire the Korean people the most.

As a nature lover and outdoor enthusiast, I've been hiking and trail running for many years, enjoying the nature parks to the fullest extent possible in recent years as I've had a little more time. Who do I see out there enjoying nature the most besides me?  I see lots of Korean hikers, in large and small groups, exploring the far outer trails where I normally don't see many other people, as well as on the more traveled trails. So I know some Koreans seem to enjoy nature, and they certainly take advantage of the great parks we have around here in the New York area. I want to pay tribute to my fellow hikers, Koreans in particular! 

2 comments:

  1. Hm... Koreans? What about the Japanese? :) Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, in general I admire many of the values of Asian cultures

    ReplyDelete

I will read all comments before they're posted. To send me a message, just tell me and I won't post it!