7/11/2012

Peekamoose to Neversink River

When I did this same run in April 2006, it took me 4:28, running and power hiking the steep stuff. This time I did it in 4:29, but the encouraging thing is my heart rate was 7 beats lower, at 146 in 2006 and 139 this time. This terrain closely matches much of the Escarpment trail run terrain, but it has more climb per mile, and the footing is tougher in some areas, but without the steep ledges. At about 13.5 tough Catskill hiking trail miles, with just shy of 5000 feet of climb, it tests me a little, but on the right day is loads of fun, as in this time.

First view south after climbing 2300 feet in a little over 2 miles



Topped Peekamoose reasonably well. I think my record up is 1:13


The rock marking the top of Peekamoose


In the col between Peekamoose and Table mountains


Far down into the Neversink valley, half a mile from the river


Bridge over the one of several stream beds marking the east branch of the Neversink



Returning, the first view south halfway up the trail from the Neversink to Table mountain



The second view south nearing the top of Table mountain




Locating the hidden view north from Table mountain, absent on the newest mapset, is always a bit of a challenge, because you don't see it until you're 15-20 feet away



Trail-less Catskill 3500 foot mountains: Lone, Rocky, Balsam Cap, Friday






2 comments:

  1. Not bad. You could be a photographer ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I got tired of taking pictures of snakes and rocks in our local parks, so I had to go more scenic!

      Delete

I will read all comments before they're posted. To send me a message, just tell me and I won't post it!