9/16/2012

Outdoor Week Ending 9/16/12

6 days mixed hiking and trail running
14:27 time, 8450' climb, 127 average heart rate

A good week, featuring some faster running, and some very slow easy hiking leading an old lost dog back to the trail head.

I like heart rate as a measure. In cycling they use Watts, but for running it's the closest thing we have to tracking effort. You can use % of max, % of heart rate reserve, % over resting, or % over normal activity. If my normal (sedentary worker) activity heart rate is 70, then 127 is 81% more than that. I estimate my HR max is around 191, so 127 is 67% of max. When I was running only and not hiking much, my average HR for the week was probably in the low to mid 70s percent, so not much different when you add in a bunch of vigorous hiking and even some very casual hiking. A cursory review of the data suggest that my hiking HR is mostly in the range 120 to 130, whereas my trail running HR is in the range 135 to 145.


Fall Goal:
I changed my mind! I signed up for a 50 km race on October 20th, the Big Brad 50 km in Pownal, ME. This race is on technical trails, so the time will be slow, but as of now I'm planning to run it hard. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will read all comments before they're posted. To send me a message, just tell me and I won't post it!