3/25/2012

Outdoor Week Ending 3/25/12

Week     Planned          Actual          Long   Long       Hiking       Time
Ends  Hours  Long  Hours  Climb    Time  Climb  Time  Climb On Feet
  3/25    6:54    3:19    7:03    3840    3:53    3100    4:30  2780   11:33

Monday's run was on empty after a lot more time on my feet last week. Tuesday was scheduled for the long run, but I knew my legs would be better on one more day of active recovery.

My long run Wednesday started at 1:20pm, and took me across and north in the park, doing a longer section of the Suffern-Bear Mountain trail, then turning sharply back south, over Break-Neck Mountain, and then partway on a dirt road back to Pine Meadow lake. I ran some and hiked some down the valley to finish.

This run was exciting because I ran several trail sections I've never run before, and I got farther out into more remote areas of the park. I felt really good into my 3rd hour, but into the 4th hour I had some cramping in my left hamstring, and also in my left calf. Unlike my last long run where I felt like I could have gone longer, this time I got quite tired and sore, but I think that had more to do with being on my feet nearly 15 hours last week (between running and hiking) and less to do with my current condition, which overall is improving significantly.

Thursday the weather was summer-like and it was really humid, but I only did a short session with more hiking than running in order to recover from the long run. Friday was slightly cooler but it felt bloody hot and humid -- turbid was the word that came to mind. Even after I got warmed up I couldn't pick up my feet well on the rocky trail and it felt awkward to run, so clearly I wasn't recovered enough from the long run and last week's greater time on feet.

So this week I reached some limits, over-reached slightly, and had to rest. After Friday's run I had several sore areas, including the right hip, a couple of spots around my left ankle, and before Friday's run my right knee was a little sore (but not so after). I probably should have completely rested Thursday, but instead I tried to make up for it by completely resting on Saturday, and only did a very short hike Sunday. Still I met my volume and long run goals for the week so it's all good if the rest pays off this coming week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will read all comments before they're posted. To send me a message, just tell me and I won't post it!